Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Oh, the insanity

Yup, I did it. I started the Insanity workout program. Even though I'm less than 1 month from my tri, and really, I should be working hard at upping my cadence, lengthening my runs, and- oh...I have to swim train too?

So after my 6am AMAZING spin class (love my instructor- perfect balance of crazy and awesome), I refueled and headed into work with high hopes. We did the fit test (I had about 2 hrs of recovery time), and it was HARD. I always forget how different plyometric training is and how it affects your body. Needless to say, this morning, I remembered.

Yup, I was greeted early this am by a cute puppy and not so cute... back pain.

ouch

Yes, I am only in my mid 20s, but back pain has plagued me for years. Mostly because of my career (lots of standing, squatting, lifting) and some residual junk from being a competitive swimmer (yeah breaststroke!!!). Now, I look like an 80 yr old trying to get around school. Actually, that would insult my football coach who could kick my aching butt across the field right now.

So why did I do it? I think it comes down to peer pressure. And that right now, I'm in better shape than I have been for a few years. I think people in my profession never really take their own advice which compounds the situation.

What's next? taking 2 days off from the program, hitting up another glorious 6am class tomorrow am, and trying to log some miles over the weekend both on the bike and in new sneakers (motivation right there!). Alternate all that with some NSAID help (Advil, Aleve, etc for you non med kids), and hopefully I'll be back on track by Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback! But please, any derogatory, inappropriate, or just plain mean comments will be removed. Thanks!