Thursday, June 9, 2011

CSA- weeks 4 and 5

Good morning!

Our 5th CSA share came in yesterday and it. is. gorgeous. So much so, that it made up for a disappointing week 4. Here's what came in the box:

Tuesday, June 7  - Half Share
1 Pint Strawberries  - Certified Organic - Healthy Harvest Organics
1 Head Green Endive - Certified Organic - Meadow Valley Organics
1 Bunch Sweet Onions - Certified Organic - Liberty Branch Farm
1 Bunch Garlic Scapes - Certified Organic - Sunny Crest Organics
1 Bunch Green Kale - Certified Organic - Eagle View Organics
1 Head Red Romaine Lettuce - Certified Organic - Riverview Organics*
1 Head Butterhead Lettuce - Certified Organic - Echo Valley Organics

*swapped out for ANOTHER pint of glorious strawberries!

Here's the haul:


berries berries berrrrrries! Yes- they are all gone already (minus a handful waiting for my momma!). I made strawberry shortcake biscuits last night and may have eaten another for breakfast this morning. shhhh ;)

Another exciting addition to the bunch- garlic scapes! I am going to try sauteing these in a pasta dish this week. Oh- and the lovely spring onions already met their fate with the grill last night. Phenom.

So why was I bummed last week with our CSA? It looks pretty good, right?


And here's what was included:

Tuesday, May 31 - Half Share
1 Head Green Romaine Lettuce - Certified Organic - Riverview Organics
1 Bunch Asparagus - Certified Organic - Maple Lawn Organics, Meadow Valley Organics, or Plum Hill Organics
1 Bunch White Scallions - Certified Organic - Railroad Organics
1 Bunch Red Chard - Certified Organic - Maple Lawn Organics
1 Bunch Baby Scarlet Turnips - Certified Organic - Outback Farm
1 Bunch Oregano - Certified Organic - Noble Herbs
1 Bunch Green Kale - Certified Organic - Eagle View Organics

Well, the romaine lettuce was up first for storage. I noticed there was a little black slime on the tips, so I trimmed it off and broke the head of lettuce in half....to find MORE BLACK SLIME. eww eww eww eww ewwwwwww. Yes, I know this is a risk of organic veggies. BUT GROSS.

The scarlet turnips were a bit tough- I need to come up with a better way of preparing them. And I managed to destroy the red chard using a recipe found on epicurious. I really should have gone with my gut on that one.

So, all in all- we got some good stuff last week. It was just a let down in comparison to the others. The good news? I am back to LOVING my CSA and can't wait to make more delicious meals this week!

ps- do you like the redesign? I'm hoping the new layout will allow for bigger pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback! But please, any derogatory, inappropriate, or just plain mean comments will be removed. Thanks!