Today, I just couldn't help myself.... I needed a taco! I blame it on reading Food and Wine while on the elliptical last night. They featured a taco visionary in the March 2010 issue and I'm pretty sure visions of salsa danced thru my head all night.
So today, I called up my food partner in crime (hi Kemi!) and we set off for El Diablo- a fantastic built to order taco/burrito joint in town.
I went with the short rib tacos on corn tortillas with pickled red onions, corn salsa and a shallot lime vinaigrette. WORTH IT. But really- I could do this at home, right?
Here's my next salsa adventure....
Mango-Tomato Salsa via Food & Wine, March 2010
- 1 cup finely diced peeled mango (from a 1/2-pound mango)
- 2 plum tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 tablespoons minced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced serrano or habanero chile
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons chopped mint
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
In a bowl, toss the mango with the tomatoes, onion and chile. Stir in the lime juice, sugar, rice vinegar, cilantro and mint. Season the salsa with salt and pepper and serve at room temperature.
Yummy! What specialty salsas do you make on your own?