Monday, February 21, 2011

Savoring Spring (a bit early!)

Happy Monday! Hopefully, most of you have off today. I have to work, but with a limited schedule, meaning I get to catch up on bills, get a good workout in, and daydream about spring!

Speaking of spring, I can't wait for the warmer weather, sunshine, and FOOD! This Friday, we had temps up in the high 60s/low 70s. It immediately made me crave shorts, flowy sundresses, and grilling out on the little red deck. Something I've been considering for awhile is joining a CSA, or Community Supported Agriculture. Friday's weather had me longing for fresh veggies and ripe fruit- and I think it also pushed me over the edge in making my decision! There are a few CSAs for us to choose from locally, and the boy and I have decided to try our luck with Lancaster Farm Fresh Co-op

Deliciousnessss

They offer 25 week half veggie shares, and after looking at samples of their full shares last season, I can't wait to see what shows up in our boxes! LFF also has a fruit share option- providing 20 wks of yumminess to go with your veggies.

Part of what had me hesitating is the inability to choose what you will get. Our household has some pretty adventurous eaters, but the boy is a little more limited on veggies he likes (I adore spinach, keep it far away from him). The idea of cooking brand new things is a little intimidating!
eek! what do I do with THIS?

Also- the upfront costs. LFF's full veggie share is $700, a half share is $425, and a fruit share is $180. That's a chunk of change considering the half share and fruit share cover 2 months of my grocery bill.

But what pushed me over the edge? I looked at our grocery bills.

The 25 wk veggie half share will average out to $17/wk. The fruit share will come to $9 a week. I usually find myself limiting the amount of fresh produce I buy in the supermarket to stay within budget. The CSA will provide a great assortment of fruits and veggies while staying within our budget! Not to mention, we will be getting all organic produce- something I admittedly don't do on a regular basis because of costs.

Either way, we start our culinary adventure in May. I hope you'll come back and check out my weekly posts about what showed up in the CSA boxes and my adventures in cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback! But please, any derogatory, inappropriate, or just plain mean comments will be removed. Thanks!