Monday, May 16, 2011

Tackling the CSA veggies-Tatsoi

Well- Blogger is back! After last week's crash, I lost a bunch of my drafts. Then my image files wouldn't open. Thankfully, we are all back to normal now :)

Remember this little cutie of a vegetable?


Well, after a google search, I came across Backyard Farming's blog and found a recipe for browned butter pasta with tatsoi. It's "kid approved" so I figured, why not? Lucky for me, even the boy liked it! And he's the man that hates spinach in all forms.

Isn't it bright and pretty?


Here's the recipe {with my edits}

Browned Butter Pasta with Tatsoi
Serves 2
Your pasta of choice, preferably curved or with ridges {rigatoni baby!}
1/2 stick unsalted butter {smart balance}
Salt and pepper
Leaves of 2 to 3 bunches of tatsoi, rinsed
1/2 cup chopped sage {left this out, added chopped red scallions from the CSA}
Freshly grated parmesan
Lemon wedges, optional 

Cook pasta to al dente in salted water. 

When pasta almost done done, melt butter in a skillet. Swirl the butter in the pan as it foams. (At this point, remove pasta from the heat and drain well in a colander.) When butter begins to brown, toss in pasta and mix to coat with butter. Salt and pepper to taste. Add tatsoi and sage {scallions} and cook until slightly wilted, about 1 to 2 minutes. Plate and serve immediately with grated parmesan and lemon wedges on the side. 

This was definitely a winner. Non greasy (the butter was done just right), a little spicy from the scallions, and light enough for the heat. It made 2 new veggies approachable and was good enough that the boy took the leftovers with him for lunch! Next time, I am going to try tatsoi in a stir fry since the slightly bitter taste reminded me a bit of bok choy.

In a quest to eat a little healthier (my triathlon is only 30 days away!), I'm pretty excited for the adventure of cooking with new veggies. Any other recipes that you can suggest? My next project is Kale!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback! But please, any derogatory, inappropriate, or just plain mean comments will be removed. Thanks!