Friday, January 28, 2011

Snow Day!

I hope everyone in the north east has dug their cars out and can safely travel now! We got hit with around 10 inches Wednesday into Thursday. Since Delaware thinks snow plows are a novel idea, I'm surprised we're getting around without too many issues right now.

The good/GREAT thing about the snow? SNOW DAYS! I got lucky and had 2 (one early dismissal and one full out snow day), and I used them to their fullest. Snow hikes with Riley and the boy, lots of shoveling and car cleaning, drunk lunches with friends, fuzzy blankets and lots of home cooked winter meals. 

Here are a few shots of our winter hike along the river...



I will bend, but not break


my favorites :)


For dinner, I made 2 of the boy's favorite things: black beans and brussel sprouts. ok, I know, weird combo. Actually, it's a VERY dangerous combo (hehe)- but it was delicious!

I never thought I'd like brussel sprouts- but my mom turned me on to the trendy idea of roasting them with lots of salt and pepper. I used Ina Garten's recipe found here. {my alterations look like this}
Fresh cut sprouts! The finished product disappeared quickly :)

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts {for 2, I use a 10 oz pkg}
  • 3 tablespoons good olive oil
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt{or more!!}
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves {I like to halve mine}. Mix them in a bowl with the olive oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries){me too!!}, and serve immediately.


The black beans are insanely easy to make, and muy delicioso! Unfortunately, they go faster than Speedy Gonzalas. I have to remember to take a picture next time for the blog! I'll save that recipe for later :)

They're calling for more snow today... hopefully only a little. My shoulders are sore from clearing off the cars! Stay warm!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments and feedback! But please, any derogatory, inappropriate, or just plain mean comments will be removed. Thanks!